CEC 1 has developed materials to help better inform parents in our district community about the admissions process. Along with school info resources found on this site, check out our School Visit Checklist and other tips for selecting the right school for your child!
Information from the DOE’s District 1 2017 Kindergarten Directory
District 1 is a choice district, and all schools in the district are called “Choice Schools.” There are no zoned schools in the district. Children living in District 1 have priority to attend all schools in the district.
November 2016: Information sessions (sign up for the Kindergarten Admissions email list or call 718-935-2009 for dates and locations)
November 30, 2016: Application Period Opens
January 13, 2017: Application Period Closes
March 2017: Offer Letters Sent to Families
April 2017: Pre-Registration Deadline
All children living in NYC who were born in 2012 will begin kindergarten in September 2017.
All children born in 2012 are guaranteed a kindergarten seat in school. Once your child starts kindergarten, they can remain at that school until its final grade.
You can apply to kindergarten from November 30, 2016 through January 13, 2017. You can apply online, by phone, or in person at a Family Welcome Center; ask for and save your receipt no matter how you apply.
All families should submit a kindergarten application, including current pre-K students, students with disabilities, and English Language Learners. Current pre-K students do not automatically stay at their school for kindergarten. Only one application can be processed per child and only the primary custodial parent/guardian can submit an application. Where there are joint custody agreements, if there is no specific provision addressing school decision-making, the parent who has primary physical custody of the child during the school week is considered to be the custodial parent.
Note: Admission is not first-come, first-served. All applications received online, by phone, or in person by the January 13, 2017 deadline are treated the same based on admissions priorities.
The Kindergarten directory also has information about Gifted and Talented programs, charter schools, and the Special Music School.
Online Application: Apply to Kindergarten from November 30, 2016 to January 13, 2017.
Website: Check this website throughout the year to get more information and resources about Kindergarten Admissions.
Email: Sign up for the Kindergarten Admissions email list to get the latest updates and key date reminders.
Phone: 718-935-2009: Call if you have questions about Kindergarten Admissions.
Family Welcome Centers:Visit a Family Welcome Center to speak with staff about Kindergarten Admissions.
English Language Learners: Learn about English Language Learner (ELL) services as well as Bilingual and English as a New Language (ENL) programs.
Special Education: Learn about special education services in New York City public schools.
District 1 Admissions Priorities:
Children living in District 1 have priority to attend all schools in the district. The DOE makes offers to District 1 schools in order, based on these admissions priorities:
1. Students who live in District 1, who are currently enrolled at a District 1 school for pre‑K and choose their current school as their first choice for kindergarten**
2. Students who live in District 1, with a verified sibling in a District 1 school and choose the sibling’s school as their first choice for kindergarten*
3. Students who live outside District 1, who have a verified sibling in a District 1 school and choose the sibling’s school as their first choice for kindergarten*
4. All other students living in District 1 who choose a school as their first choice
5. Students who live outside District 1, who attend a District 1 school for pre-K and choose the school as their first choice**
6. Students who live in District 1, who could not be accommodated in their first choice
7. All other students who live outside District 1
* A sibling is defined as a brother or sister—including half-brothers, half-sisters, stepbrothers, stepsisters, foster brothers, and foster sisters—of the applicant, who lives in the same household, and is currently pre-registered or enrolled at that school in grades K-5, and will be enrolled at that school in grades K-5 in September 2017. This includes students enrolled in co-located District 75 programs in the same school building. Schools offer a priority to applicants with verified siblings in the school.
** Students who are currently enrolled in pre-K will only receive priority for admission in kindergarten at the school they are attending now. Not all schools have pre-K.
Waitlists: A school will have a kindergarten waitlist when there are more students that apply than kindergarten seats available at the school. You will automatically be added to the waitlist for any school you ranked higher on your application than the school where your child received an offer. For example, if you received an offer for the school you listed third on your application, you will automatically be listed on the waitlist for your first and second choice schools. Schools contact waitlisted families directly if they are able to offer them a seat; no additional action is required of families on a waitlist at this point in the admissions process.
Before applying, you can research your school options.Use the school search tool to find your zoned school. Review the D1 Kindergarten Directory for tips on submitting your application