The Community Education Council (CEC) is made up of nine volunteer parents from District One elected for two-year terms by the core PTA officers in each District One school. Two additional CEC members are appointed by the Borough President and one is a non-voting High School senior. Elected parents must have a child in a District school (or in the last two years).
The CEC’s responsibilities are set by NY State Law, and include:
* Approving changes to zoning lines
* Reviewing the District’s education programs
* Evaluating the District Superintendent
* Assisting SLTs (Student Leadership Team)
* Holding public forums
* Hosting joint public hearings (with affected SLTs) on any proposed significant changes in utilization (phase out, grade configuration, re-siting, co-location) of any public district school
At each monthly calendar meeting there is a report from the Community District Superintendent and an opportunity for the public to voice their concerns.