Charter Hearing, Middle School Arts Survey, Arts Partnership Grants, and Links of Interest
- Today, October 1st, there will be a public hearing to solicit comment about a proposed charter school in District 1/2. New York City Charter School of the Arts has applied for a Fall 2016 opening to serve 306 students in grades 6 – 8.
- To comment: Speaker sign-in is at 6pm
- Location: Manhattan Charter School Auditorium, 100 Attorney Street NY, NY 10002
CEC 1’s Middle School Arts Survey Results
At the close of the 2014-2015 school year, CEC 1 disseminated a confidential survey of the arts instruction and programming offered in district middle schools. Click to read the CEC 1 Middle School Arts Survey Results.
Arts Partnership Grants: From the The Center for Arts Education:
As part of the city’s expanded commitment to arts education, the New York City DOE’s Office of Arts and Special Projects has recently announced the 2015-16 application cycle for Arts Partnership grants for schools.
- Schools are now invited to apply for the three following programs to expand arts education at their schools:
- Arts for English Language Learners and Students with Disabilities:Click here to download a pdf of the Request for Proposal. Deadline to Apply: Tuesday, October 13, 2015
- Arts Continuum: Click here to download a pdf of the Request for Proposal.Deadline to Apply: Tuesday, October 27, 2015
- Arts+Family Engagement: Click here to download a pdf of the Request for Proposal. Deadline to Apply: Tuesday, November 10, 2015
To learn more about these grant opportunities, including guidelines for application, deadlines and more please visit the DOE’s website. Please note that submissions may only be made by school principals or assistant principals via the online application form.
You can email Ben Espinosa, Arts Partnership Manager at the New York City Department of Education, Office of Arts and Special Projects, with any questions:email@example.com
To identify potential arts partners in your community visit the NYCDOE’s Arts and Cultural Services Education Guide.
Links of Interest:
- An article about “What one college discovered when it stopped accepting SAT/ACT scores.”
- An article/map describing “How racial segregation persists at Gifted and Talented programs.”
- A related story from Houston: “In Houston’s Gifted Program, Critics Say Blacks And Latinos Are Overlooked.”
- WNYC’s coverage of how “History repeats itself in Brooklyn school rezoning.”